Flash back to August something or other in 1999.
I was a soon to be freshman at Show Low High School.
I had done ALL my school clothes shopping with my money that I earned from selling hay in 112 degree heat at a auction on the outskirts of Hel...I mean Holbrook.
The night before school started I picked out my "first day of school" outfit: Silver jeans, a T-shirt of some sort, and Doc Martin sandals. I was styling and lookin dang G-double O-D, good!
Had my 5 star folders, pencils, paper, pens, and backpack all stocked up and ready to go.
Set my alarm to wake up in enough time to try to straighten my hair by running a curling iron through my fluffy hair. (never worked, but at least I tried.)
Also gave myself enough time to make sure that I was ready before BOTH of my older brothers so that I could beat at least one of them to their vehicle....to ensure that I had a ride to school.
I also prepared myself for the pep assembly and the "Cougar Fight Song" challenge...and how they always booed the little freshmen when they didn't PROUDLY yell out all the words.
Back in the day I was prepared and excited for school. The friends, the practices, the games, the trips, and a little learning here and there.
Flash forward a good 10 years.
I still get the "first day of school" jitters. There is still the crisp August morning air. The excitement of new classes and teachers. The chance of making a new friend. HOWEVER...
I am the wife and mother to two special boys.
I work part-time at a lovely electric company.
I do not have a new outfit to wear to school tomorrow.
I have a straightener that conquers my fluffy hair with ease.
I will grab my back pack in the morning and hope that there is a least one pencil in there.
I will drive myself to school via the scooter or the "Rola" AND
I go to school with two desires...
1. To survive
and then
2. Graduate in approximately 8.5 months.
There is no "fight song challenge" to get me pumped up...but the support from my fun-loving husband and husky little boy is enough to rally me through to the end! Here's to a good semester.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
school day
Posted by
Taralee
at
8:04 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Cheers... Hope you have a good school day...
oh tara don't try to fool us by saying how prepared you were. you were always rush rush rush!. Flash forward to August 2002 and how mean you were to me during my freshman year? Your friends would even say hi to me and you just snubbed me like I have no idea who that is! Guess it toughened me up in the long run! And I stll love you.
Post a Comment